Nothing Says ‘Fancy’ Like Foil Stamping
Using foil in the design of your stationery, invitations, greeting cards or packaging will add a bit of gleam that will catch anyone’s eye. Foil stamping creates a smooth opaque image for fine lines or large solids, and is a great way to create metallic effects.
Offering a wide variety of colors and patterns, foil stamping can add richness to images and type. Often seen as a metallic, (gold, silver, etc.) foils are also available in hundreds of colors, clear, tints or holographic patterns.
Foil stamping is elegant on its own but when combined with blind or foil embossing, you can create a dazzling array of affects. It can also be used with other print processes such as engraving, thermography, die cutting, or offset printing with truly amazing results.
Foils are opaque, except for clears or tints. That allows you to use a light colored foil on a dark paper and expect excellent coverage.
Foil stamping on smooth paper stocks produces the best results. If you desire to stamp on a textured stock it may require extra pressure to flatten the texture of the paper to insure proper foil adhesion.
Here’s How the Foil Stamping Process Works
- The image to be stamped is made into a stamping die, typically made of magnesium or copper for flat stamping, brass for multi-level, sculptured or combination dies.
- The die is mounted in a press and heated to 170 to 240 degrees F.
- Foil is pulled across the heated surface of the die.
- The paper is pressed to the foil, transferring the pigment from the carrier sheet to the printed piece.
You also have some variations of foil stamping which include:
– Foil embossing, where the image is both foiled and embossed.
– Foil embossing can be produced in two separate press passes using two separate dies, or in one pass using a combination die. The embossing can be single level, multiple level or sculptured.
Request Your Free Samples
Let us put our high-quality samples in your hands so you can see for yourself how we can help you simply add style, distinction and elegance to ALL of your printed materials!
Thank You for Finding Us
We look forward to beginning or cultivating our relationship further in the near future!